Hospitality and tourism-slips, trips and falls
A teenager working at a fast food restaurant tore the ligaments in his right knee after tripping at work. A grease trap cover had come out of place and he caught his foot in the hole, tripping over. He had to have surgery to repair the damage done to his knee.
It might seem unbelievable but if you're going to hurt yourself at work it'll probably be because of a slip, trip or fall.
So what's going to cause you to slip, trip or fall at work?
- slippery floors
- uneven surfaces like broken tiles or torn carpet
- wearing the wrong shoes
- stairs or steps
- boxes, bags or equipment left in the way
- trailing electrical leads
How can you prevent slips, trips or falls at work?
- clean up your workplace so there is nothing to fall over
- clean up spills straight away
- use mats on slippery floors
- have ramps instead of steps
- Wear the right shoes for work –closed toe rubber soles and low heels. They aren't always fashionable but they will help to keep you safe
Want to know more about slips, trips and falls?