WorkSafe SmartMove is designed for students in years ten to twelve to make you a little more aware of what can happen in the workplace. It will give you a chance to learn about the potential dangers of the workplace but also your rights and responsibilities.
At WorkSafe, we want young people to know about occupational safety and health (OSH). Lack of experience and skills combined with a desire to work hard and impress people can make you pretty vulnerable and much more likely to be hurt. The reason we've designed WorkSafe SmartMove is to help stop young people being injured and killed every year at work.
WorkSafe SmartMove will give you the knowledge you need to stay safe in the workplace.
You can work through the activities in WorkSafe SmartMove either on or offline, in class or at home in preparation for your initial work experiences. This work will prepare you for the multiple choice quiz that, if passed, will provide you with your first OSH certificate.
Start with the general module and then pick the module for the industry in which you will be working.
The general module is designed to introduce you to important facts about safety laws and common hazards. Please complete the General Module before moving on to complete any of the industry modules.
Each of the industry modules contain more detailed information on the main hazards specific to each industry. The ten industry modules are:
- Building and Construction
- Health and Community Services
- Electrical and Electronics
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Metals and Engineering
- Office and Business Services
- Primary Industry
The information in WorkSafe SmartMove industry modules can be downloaded and printed to use as a photocopy master so you only need to complete the test online.
Tests and certificates
WorkSafe SmartMove will generate a certificate when you successfully complete the Industry Module test. The test also contains questions on issues that were covered in the General Module.
- Prepares young people for the responsibility of working safely
- Informs young people of the general hazards in the workplace
- Empowers young people to stand up for their safety in the workplace
- Provides young people with a certificate that recognises the knowledge and understanding they have gained by completing WorkSafe SmartMove
- It is linked to the Curriculum Framework Overarching Statements and Core Values
- Can be used with the Health and Physical Education Learning Area Progress Maps and the Society and Environment Learning Area Progress Maps.
- Is mapped to OSH or BS units within the vocational education and training framework (More information on learning outcomes).
In line with the philosophy of the Curriculum Framework WorkSafe Smart Move encourages students to become self-motivated and confident in their approach to learning. It is particularly relevant for the increasing number of students undertaking courses where learning in the workplace is part of the curriculum.
Students are expected to work through the most relevant module, reading and studying the information under various topic headings, prior to undertaking the self assessment questions that follow.
To assist teachers a copy of the text of the general module is available in PDF format. Please note this does not include the interactive questions.
There are further activities for teachers to use in the classroom that enhance student learning.
If you have any questions about WorkSafe SmartMove please contact WorkSafe by: